Skip to the content
Rebuilding the Icon Cache Database
- Close all folder windows that are currently open.
- Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.
- In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
- Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.
- From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)
- Type CMD.EXE, and click OK
- In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:
CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
- In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)
- Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.